Monday, September 25, 2006

In Praise of Borat

In last week's post on the decline of T.V comedy, I did overlook one recent gem - Sacha Ben Cohen's character Borat, from the Ali Gee Show.

According to Canadian blogger Black Rod, Cohen has bought Borat to the big screen in Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which recently screened at the Toronto Film Festival. Reuters was suitably shocked, calling it:

'the mosts appalling, tasteless, grotesque, politically incorrect sladerous flim of the year'

However, for festival goers 'It was also the hottest ticket item that night'.

I do have one major criticism of the Borat character though - he doesn't look like he's from Kazakhstan (Kazakh's look more East Asian dam it!)

As a self confessed expert on central Asia ( I have seen several repeats of Reilly Ace of Spies, and have spent at least 40 minutes reading up on the various republics in the region) I have come to the conclusion that Borat should be from Azerbeijan ( which technically isn't in Central Asia). The Black Adder crew would never have made such an oversight.

No comments: