Thursday, March 26, 2009

Das Kapital: The Musical!

Yes folks, a Chinese stage producer has decided to use the recent resurgence of interest in things economic to stage a musical on the writings of the world's most famous lefty economist.

I wonder what's next, a TV mini-series on the life and times of Henry George, an ironic art exhibition about John Maynard Keynes and the Bloomsbury set, or how about Jethro Tull coming out of retirement and doing a tongue-in-cheque concept album on the co-operative movement.

And speaking of Jethro Tull.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a New Zealander to insinuate that the cooperative movement is something left wing shows total ignorance of how cooperatives operate so successfully in your country.

Mike Courtman said...

Anon, lighten-up, you're reading too much into this.

I'm having a laugh at the idea of making a musical about an economic theory.

I just threw the Cooperative movement in there as an example of an alternative economic movement, not because I think it's "left-wing".

And if I was trying to insinuate that the Cooperative movement was left-wing, why would I mention a conservative anti-Marxist, single taxer like Henry George in the same paragraph?

Similarly, I've no idea if Jethro Tull are interested in the cooperative movement or any other economic movement. I just mentioned them so I could add a link to a humorous u-tube video.