Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Quiet on the Commonwealth front

Going into 2008, it's apparent that the gap in the quality and quantity of blogging output between conservative bloggers in the English-speaking Commonwealth and their counterparts in the US, is showing little sign of narrowing.

Although the population of the US dwarfs that of Britain, Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, the English-speaking Commonwealth still has a population of over 110 million from which to draw upon. However, we are still failing to produce many bloggers in the class of US traditional and scientific conservatives like Daniel Larison, Steve Sailer, Randall Parker, Jim Kalb, Lawrence Auster, John Savage, and John Press.

As well as being a regular blogger, Mr Press has also produced a substantial book Culturism, which tackles the weighty issue of western cultural survival. Steve Sailer's blog appears to attract the lions share of reader comments, although Auster and Larison also appear to be attracting significant web traffic. (Hat tip to Daniel Larison for being my best referrer, with Oz Conservative second, and mainstream NZ blogger David Farrar third).

Among many others worthy of mention include the lucid and entertaining Dennis Dale, and punchy empiricist Audacious Epigone.

The most consistent and accomplished conservative blogger in the British Commonwealth remains Mark Richardson of Oz Conservative, who is now into his 5th year of lucidly and persistently de-constructing liberalism. However, he is conspicuous for the being the only conservative blogger in Australasia to consistently produce quality commentary on a regular basis.

On this side of the Tasman I regret to report that the Internet scene continues to be dominated by libertarians who seems to think defending western civilisation goes no further than ranting about tax rates.

Canadian output is similarly limited. Immigration blogger Hogtown Front stood out for the quality and accuracy of his postings on Immigration in Ontario, but ceased blogging on a consistent basic earlier this year. Similarly, Vancouver blogger Kevin Michael Grace has been pretty quiet this year, although he is no doubt making a valuable contribution through his work with the American Conservative.

Britain is producing some good bloggers with a law and order focus, with Laban Tall of UK Commentators one of the best in this regard. Unfortunately though, there are few UK bloggers who are willing to offer serious, original analysis of the type that US writers like Kalb and Sailer deliver on a regular basis (a possible star in the making, though is teenager Sam Tarran, who is already producing some good posts at a ridiculously young age).

Although Continental conservatives appear to be preoccupied with current events concerning Islamic immigration (and who can blame them) there are a few European pundits like Fjiordman and Conservative Swede who are going the extra mile and producing some serious critiques of modern liberal thinking.

Perhaps 2007's most important site from a Conservative perspective though, was not a political blogger, but a non-partisan Internet lobbying site, Numbers USA, which played a vital contribution to the downfall of George Bush's unpopular illegal immigration amnesty.

3 comments:

Dennis Dale said...

the lucid and entertaining Dennis Dale

What do you mean?
How am I lucid and entertaining? What the f-- is so lucid and entertaining about me?

Tell me what's lucid and entertaining.

You mean the way I write? What?
Lucid how? What's entertaining about it?

Maybe I'm a little f---ed up.
But I'm entertaining how? Entertaining like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to f---ing amuse you?
Let me understand this.

How am I lucid and entertaining? What the f--- is so lucid and entertaining about me?

Motherf---! I almost had him.

I wonder about you sometimes, NZ.
You may fold under questioning.

Mike Courtman said...

Hey, stop picking on me, I've already been mocked today over the unreadability of my stylish dark- blue background colour. It's not my fault I have the eyes of a possum.

By "Lucid," I meant usin' big words and stuff. Chill.

Hey, I'll make it up to you, how about this one:

"Dennis Dale: meta musings from the philosopher-poet of the paleo-sphere."

Audacious Epigone said...

NZ,

Hehe, "punchy". Well, I'm not sure if you mean the sort of punchy that guys who've done too much anaerobic work and have consequently cut off too much oxygen to the brain tend to be, or if you mean "punchy" in the less-used way, to mean energetic and quirky.

Probably a little of both, I suppose. I'm just honored to be mentioned alongside such giants :)