Progressive liberal environmentalists argue that environmental legislation benefits local industry by encouraging firms to develop new technology and capture overseas markets in environmental technology.
In Growth Fetish Clive Hamilton argues that the introduction of aggressive environmental regulations by the German government have helped German firms to overtake their British competitors:
“Today, British officials publicly express regret they bowed to industry and allowed Germany to take the lead, because it is now to dislodge German pollution control firms from markets throughout the world”.
However, most developing countries do not have the same level of environmental standards as western countries. Subsequently, western countries, which impose heavy environmental regulations on their own firms, without demanding it of others, are effectively putting their own manufacturers at a disadvantage in the global market.
Unfortunately, right –liberals aren’t much help on this issue since they argue that developing countries shouldn’t have to abide by western environmental standards. With over 6 billion people in the world we can’t afford to have one set of rules for shrinking developed countries and one set for rapidly developing states like China.
This in another example how right liberalism mutates into left liberalism since liberal philosophy denies countries the right to put their own interests first.
Despite what liberal internationalists preach, we still live in a world of competing states where one country's success can come at another’s expense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Michael,
Are you going to post on the Maori politician lamenting white immigration to New Zealand? You're take would be greatly appreciated.
Sory, I'm not keeping up with current events much at the moment, which politician are you referring to, can you provide a link?
Her name is Tariana Turia, and she's among the privileged Maori representative set-asides, from what I understand. Here's a story on it.
Heh, I'm not trying to dictate what you write, so don't feel obligated. But I look to you as the go-to guy for analysis and news on New Zealand :)
Tmaks, I'll check it out. For some reason this story isn't big here. Feel free to let me when nz stories appear in the US.
Unfortunately the web marshall at my work is blocking quite a few of my links (with little rythme or reason) so I am missing quite a lot of stories.
Post a Comment