Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Borat's "Cultural Leanings"

It turns out I was right about Sacha Ben Cohen's lack of research into Kazakhstan for his Kazakh character Borat.

According to a Sunday Times article, "Curse of The Kazakhs" (October 8, C17), the producer of the early episodes of Da Ali G Show, Andrew Newman, has confessed:

"I think we chose Kazakhstan fairly randomly. It was somewhere that
sounded far away and we thought it would not be that easy to check up about".

Honestly, what's comedy coming to.

However, there are some interesting points about Borat on Wikipedia, such as :

"The hair and mustache are real and it takes about six weeks to grow them to
Borat's length. The hair has never been washed, which helps him to smell "foreign".

Excellent, Cohen may be a bit slack on research but you can't fault his commitment to method acting.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case it isn't obvious, the point of Borat isn't factual accuracy about a specific country. This isn't Lawrence of Arabia. The point of Borat is to create hilarious awkward situations with unsuspecting people in public. These awkward situations are created by supposed differences in customs, and Kazakhstan was randomly chosen because it is highly unlikely that any of Borat's victims would know anything about the country, which is exactly what the quote from the producer said. Think of it like a generic foreign country where everything is make believe except the name.

Mike Courtman said...

Bear in mind I am just being mildly facetious here.

I still think Borat is funny, although I am only going by the original UK T.V show, as I haven't got around to seeing the Borat movie yet.